Welcome to PROWESS! My interest, well passion really, for helping students acquire the keys to success in their careers was motivated by two major defining opportunities: The first occurred when my manager asked me to create an event for Take Our Daughters to Work Day, and my daughter, Lyn, who was 12 at the time, helped me to launch what turned out to be a series of seven annual wildly popular professional-level career events for the children of employees (which eventually included the boys!).
The second opportunity arrived when I was assigned the responsibility of hiring, training and supervising high-school interns, a fabulous experience that lasted for nearly two decades. I have been able to track the careers of some of my former interns who have gone on to be vice presidents, officers and executive assistants in the financial industry.
From State Street to Wall Street with a stop at Madison Avenue, I’ve worked in the business world for more than four decades, in both Chicago and New York, and have garnered a wealth of knowledge and experience in the area of professional etiquette and protocol.
Over the years, I’ve observed many recent graduates from a broad array of colleges and universities struggle to navigate the extremely complex and competitive corporate environment. I believe that training in the essential soft skills can make the difference whether a career progresses or stalls, between confidence and anxiety, and between success and failure. Those observations further prompted me to create the PROWESS Workshops for high school and college students and young professionals.
- Vice President at major Fortune 500 financial corporation
- Social Secretary to CEO of major Fortune 500 investment firm
- Public Relations staff professional at Fortune 500 manufacturing company
- Executive Secretary to CEO of major publishing company
- Secretary, sales assistant, at major television network
Work with Students
- Hired, trained and supervised high-school and college interns for 18 years at Fortune 500 financial institution; many have gone on to vice presidencies and other official positions in the financial industry.
- Created and conducted workshops for girls 9-15 for Take Our Daughters to Work Day (the last one included the boys!).
- Addressed local college audiences on dining etiquette.
- Created and conducted dining etiquette for Big Brothers Big Sisters Middle School Students.
- Served on Associate Board of Junior Achievement of New York.
- Worked with students as Docent and Guide for New York Zoological Society Education Department.
I have been active in community projects that have benefitted students and wildlife, and have volunteered in political campaigns.